January 26, 2023
- The FDA is proposing a limitation on lead in food for babies and kids under 2 - the FDA estimates these limitations could result in a 24-27% reduction in exposure to lead from such foods. We’ll state the obvious: why not eliminate lead (and other harmful metals) from all food?
- Yoga, meditation, and artistic expression can adolescents overcome the effects of trauma - a small study showed promising results from a 1-week intensive program with girls 13-16.
- California considering establishing state stockpile of baby formula - Assemblywoman Lori Wilson proposed the bill in reaction to the nationwide shortage. Please copy and paste this effort, other states.
- You spend 35% more when you shop with your kids - this recent study of 2,000 US parents confirms what we already knew. Target owes our kids a commission.
- European mothers are more likely than U.S. mothers to carry their babies to 40 weeks - A recent study shows 76% of births in the US occurred prior to 40 weeks, compared to 60% in England and 56% in the Netherlands.
- Justice Department investigating Abbott baby formula plant - the plant, in Sturgis, MI, shut down over sanitation issues, exacerbating the country's formula shortage.
- Rest isn't necessarily best for concussion recovery in children, study says - A recent study showed that kids who returned to school and their regular routines sooner recovered better.
- Pediatricians are giving out free gun locks to approach the gun violence epidemic as a public health crisis - St. Louis Children’s Hospital in Missouri provided a basket of free gun locks "No Questions Asked", and thousands of locks have been taken from the basket since they began the initiative a couple years ago. The program is expanding across Missouri and Illinois.