February 16, 2023
- NJ restaurant bans kids under 10 - Nettie’s House of Spaghetti announced the ban recently, citing noise and mess. We’d completely understand if the name of the restaurant didn’t sound like a kid’s fantasy land.
- A startling CDC study reveals distressing state of teen girls - 1 in 5 teen girls report experiencing sexual violence in the past year, and 3 in 5 said they feel persistently hopeless and sad.
- Ohio is proposing a law age-gating social media - Governor Mike DeWine proposes requiring parental consent to create social media profiles for kids under 16. Duh. Finally. Yes. Of course. Let’s do this. Now. Yesterday.
- Child care costs have skyrocketed over the last two years - Last year's national average babysitting rate grew to $22.68 an hour for one child, $25.37 an hour for two and $27.70 an hour for three. Caused by a pricey cocktail of declining cheap labor, parents going back to work, and the higher rates attracting former teachers and other professionals who understandably charge more for their expertise.
- Important recall: WeeSprout voluntary recall of baby sleep sacks - the zippers can fall off and become a chocking hazard. The company instructs parents to destroy and discard them.
- Access to greenspace impacts birth weight - a study of Norwegian mothers showed that mothers with access to parks, gardens, paths, and other greenspaces were more likely to have babies with healthy birth weights.